Boating returns to Cannon Hall
7th April 2021
We’re very excited to announce that boating has returned to Cannon Hall Lakes this spring after an absence of over 70 years!
The first cascade was completed in 1756 to a design by Richard Wood and created 3 lakes for recreational use by the family, who enjoyed fishing, swimming and boating. Diary extracts tell us that boats were delivered to Hull by sea and then transported overland to Cannon Hall.
The Lakes remained in use throughout until 1951 when the hall was sold to Barnsley Council by the last resident, Elizabeth Spencer-Stanhope.
Thanks to the National Lottery funded parks for People project, much has been done to restore the Lakes to their former glory and a new boating shed and jetty have been installed ready for The Little Boat Company at Cannon Hall to start hiring out pleasure boats very soon.